Friday, February 29, 2008

Early Mother's Day Present

Here in England, we're celebrating Mothering Sunday this weekend. I know this because I saw the £5 flower arrangement with daisies and carnations at Somerfield today. (Obviously, this is a gift for someone who feels ambivalent, or perhaps even hostile, toward his or her mother. But I digress.)

This morning, like many other mornings, we were running late to try to get out the door and to school on time. Luckily for me, I had very thoughtfully left my trousers I wore yesterday on the floor, and my sweater from three days ago on our chest, but had no time to brush my hair. I'd like to say that I made a quick prayer to myself that no one would notice, but that would be a lie. I just don't care that much what people in the playground think.

In any case, I was quickly lacing up my red Converse while sitting at the bottom of the stairs when Thing Two approached.

"Mom?" he asked, as I braced myself for some last-minute request, like cupcakes for 30 children.

"You look SO BEAUTIFUL today," he said. 

Happy Mother's Day to me!

No comments: