Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Charlotte's Web

Bursting with anticipation, Thing One, Thing Two and I kicked off half-term week by going to see "Charlotte's Web."

It is important that you know that I think Charlotte's Web is the BEST book EVER in the HISTORY of the UNIVERSE. I believe it is the only book that I would rate 10 out of 10.

It is the book that made me love reading and writing. It is the book that taught me about the cycle of life. It is the book that taught me the value of friendship. It is the book that taught me the power of well-selected words.

I already read the book to the boys last summer, such was my anticipation in sharing Wilbur's magical world with them. I was crying so hard at the end of the book that I had to pass it off to Mr. MarathonMum to read the last sentences: "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both."

As a parent, there is nothing better than passing along your own enthusiasms to your children. When we sat in the cinema watching the movie, I was overcome with such happiness because we could watch the story of Charlotte, Wilbur and Fern unfold together. It was the same sort of happiness I felt when we read the book together too. As the movie moved toward its sad conclusion, and the tears were streaming down my face, Thing One kept saying to me, "Don't be sad, Mom," while Thing Two crawled into my lap, gave me a hug and said, "Don't cry, Mom."

As we left the cinema, Thing Two (now aged 3 1/2) summed up the action. [ALERT: Plot spoiler ahead!!]
"Charlotte died at the fun fair," he said. "That was sad."
"Then three of her babies stayed at the barn," he said. "That was happy."

I couldn't have summed it up better myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoever thinks that all boys are dim-witted, insensitive,
boisterous little beasts obviously never had a little son.
Thanks for this, it made my morning. Love, Anne

Anonymous said...

I now want to go out and buy and read Charlotte's Web! Wow! And what a nice way to record this special time with your little guys. You are a very good Mum! Thanks - Love, Kel