Sunday, August 26, 2012

2012: Week 34

2012: Week 34 by MAStapleton
2012: Week 34, a photo by MAStapleton on Flickr.
The thing about the 52 Weeks project is that it is designed to capture your life in 2012, both happy and sad. Week 34 was definitely sad for me, as this was the week of my brother's funeral. He fought hard to beat cancer, but cancer is a Son Of A Bitch and it won.

I didn't think I would have any picture of Week 34 given that it felt (and feels) like there's a big hole in my body where my heart used to be. But lo and behold something strange happened that I wanted to capture on film to remember the week.

File under strange but true: on the night of my brother's funeral, we were gathered in the hotel for an Irish wake. On the bookshelf of the hotel in Virginia, hundreds of miles away from where we grew up, I found this book about Boonton, our TINY hometown in NJ. Its population is only 8,500, so it is utterly amazing to me that this book appeared on the shelf. Like I said, file it under strange but true.

No comments: