Monday, March 18, 2013

2013: Week 11

2013: Week 11 by MAStapleton
2013: Week 11, a photo by MAStapleton on Flickr.

The granddaughter of an Irish immigrant to the States, St. Patricks Day was a BIG deal in our family when I was growing up. My grandfather even had a special sign that counted down the days until St. Pat's, starting with 364. (He couldn't help himself. His name was Patrick too.) The tradition continued at university, where I was surrounded by other Irish-Americans who liked to live it up on St. Pat's. When I say "live it up" what I really mean is, "start the party at 8 a.m."

I then went to graduate school in Chicago, a city that *literally* dyes the river green for St. Patrick's Day. When I first moved there, I thought it was a joke, because the Chicago River was pretty green for the rest of the year. But no. On St. Patrick's Day, they dye the river a bright green. Amazing.

St. Patrick's Day 2013 in London was a cold, grey and rainy day. But I was determined to celebrate. So I set myself the task to find green things in Greenwich, which I did. I might not have drunk any green beer, but I think my grandpa would have approved.

No comments: