Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Happy Birthday Thing 2!
Happy 9th Birthday Thing Two!
Another year has passed, and it's another milestone. This one is the last single-digit birthday he'll ever have. Time flies when you're having fun.
Just as I do every year, I went back to see what I wrote about Thing Two a year ago, to see how much has changed, and how much has stayed the same.
The more things change:
1. We went through a huge "Tudor phase" this year, such is the pitfalls of living in England, and particularly in Greenwich, the birthplace of King Henry VIII. We visited Hampton Court Palace twice and the Tower of London, all within six weeks. I'm proud to say that I can now name all of Henry's wives and what happened to them. (Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.)
2. He certainly has learned how to travel and get around. The other night, when I asked him how he would get from Heathrow to home by himself, he said, "I'd hire a taxi." Well done.
3. His sense of humour and sarcasm is extremely robust. The other afternoon, we walked past a young child whose balloon had just popped. Apropos of nothing, he said, "The balloon popped. And so did someone's happiness."
4. He's becoming a more adventurous eater. The other day he wanted to try sushi, "Just to try something different," he said. (In the end, he opted for the safer option: The sausage sandwich.)
The more they stay the same:
1. He is still, and will probably be forevermore, Mr. Movie.
2. He is still, I'm very happy to report, Mr. Math.
3. He still loves to help me in the kitchen when I'm cooking. Even better, he now occasionally wants to cook for everyone. Happy days.
4. Green is still his favourite colour, tigers are his favourite animal, and Arsenal is his favourite team.
5. His tenacity in trying to get better at the things he can't do is pretty impressive. He's not enthusiastic about it all the time, but at least he gives it a go.
Happy Birthday Thing 2. May you have many more.