Monday, September 30, 2013

2013: Week 39

2013: Week 39 by MAStapleton
2013: Week 39, a photo by MAStapleton on Flickr.
Week 39 of 2013 was a monumental week in our family. Actually, the week wasn't so monumental, but the Sunday of Week 39 was. It marked the day that our son turned 14 AND the day that our beloved Pittsburgh Steelers played at Wembley Stadium.

It was a fantastic day. We had cake for breakfast, as is the tradition. The sun shone. The tailgating at Wembley was epic. The pre-game show featured Tinie Tempah. We enjoyed some American fireworks to go with the American over-the-top festivities.

The funniest moment of the day was when the lovely gentleman from Devon seated next to me turned to me and asked, "So, is this your first American football game?" To be fair, he hadn't heard me talk yet, so maybe my American accent would have negated the need to ask that question. I only laughed and said, "Well, I've seen A LOT of American football games. I have no idea how many." (This is just a ballpark figure, but maybe 11,631?)

We also learned the answer to the question that had always troubled us: Could Gene Simmons, he of outrageous makeup of "Kiss" sing the national anthem without his usual getup? Alas, he can. Who knew?

Alas, the Steelers did not win. But it was an amazing day just the same.

No comments: