Saturday, June 23, 2012

2012: Week 25

Opa!! Flaming cheese anyone?

When I worked in Chicago a lifetime ago, there was a great Greek restaurant right down the street from our newspaper. My friend Joel and I made it a habit of always ordering the flaming cheese, officially known as the saganaki. As time marched on, we came to depend on the Flaming Cheese. If one of us was having a particularly bad day, the other would e-mail, "Flaming Cheese Today?" and off we would go. There's nothing like a bit of fire and tableside theatrics to brighten up your life.

Although it's been awhile since I could e-mail Joel and ask him if it was a Flaming Cheese Day, it still holds a special place in my heart. So when I went to Yia Yia Mary's in Houston with my brother and his family, I knew it was time to introduce people I love to the wonders of Flaming Cheese. Yum.

No comments: