Sunday, February 05, 2006

Go Steelers!

Tonight is the Super Bowl in the U.S.

For my non-American readers, I might as well have just typed, "Xslkdhj lkjrt goiu Lkjerg Bpoer in the U.S."

Despite the American's media annual insistence that there is a global audience of many millions of people watching the American football game, it's just not so. Here in the U.K., there's a few freaks (read: Us) who are very excited about the matchup between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Seattle Seahawks, but we are firmly in the minority.

To wit: Yesterday I had to drop something off at my friend's house. We were discussing what we were doing this weekend, and I told her we were staying up late to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday. "Is that baseball?" she asked.

Let's face it, it's tough being a Steelers fan living abroad. When we talk about Big Ben, our friends think we're talking about a timepiece, not a quarterback. When we bemoan that it may be the last season for the Bus, they think we're talking about a vehicle that is red and double decker.

Nevertheless, Tim and I will be up late in our Steelers T-shirts ready to root our team to victory.

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!

No comments: